|date and orange muffins ready for tea!|
Take one whole orange - yes, skin and all, just minus the pips - and pulverise it in the food processor ... these little muffins aren't moist and full of flavour for nothing; right now the oranges are bursting with juice and taste so this is the ideal recipe.
|first the orange, then the orange juice, egg and melted butter - give them a whizz and hey presto!|
The first time I made them I didn't have any dates and one glance out of the window at the raging snow storm confirmed that I was going to have to use whatever other dried fruit I had to hand. It turned out to be large seedless black raisins, left over from the Christmas mincemeat. They were fine but I made the recipe again, this time with the specified dates, and they were much better: tastier, for a start, with more texture to them. So if you can, I recommend you use dates.
|date and orange muffins/hurmalı portakallı mini kek|
So how about a bit of homebaking? It's just the weather for it!
This is a lovely straightforward recipe from a book with the comforting title of Granny's Muffins - 55 New Zealand Favourites Tried & True! I think it's quite old. Many of you will immediately guess where I got this recipe: yes, from good friend Lesley who lives here but is from New Zealand originally. I made my mincemeat at Christmas this year from another NZ recipe that she passed on and it was fantastic. She is an excellent cook and her recipes are always reliable not to mention delicious!
Date and Orange Muffins/Hurmalı Portakallı Mini Kek
1 medium orange, washed and cut into quarters
½ cup orange juice
100g/4oz butter, melted, plus a little extra to grease the muffin tin
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup dates/hurma, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- Place the pieces of orange in the food processor and reduce to pulp. Add orange juice, egg and melted butter, and combine.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar into a bowl.
- Add the mixture from the processor to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the chopped dates and mix until just combined.
- Use the mixture to fill a 12-hole muffin tin which has been greased. (Each hole will be filled about 3/4 full). OR YOU CAN USE CUPCAKE PAPERS.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven or until firm and nicely browned.
Make them soon while the weather is still miserable: I loved this recipe because it's simple and unpretentious- these little muffins will be a hit with both friends and family ....