|lamb and apricot tagine ready to eat|
I made it, it was delicious, but then I saw another recipe in BBC Good Food. The ingredients were almost identical EXCEPT for the addition of butternut squash (bal kabak here), chopped tomatoes and that most exotic of spices ras el hanout. So hey presto, the second time round, my dish turned into a TAGINE!! As we all know, tagines are Moroccan in origin. (Before you decide that you've never heard of ras el hanout, click on the How To tab at the top of this post..).
This tagine recipe is much tastier than the Turkish look-alike. There, I've said it! Plus the fact that I baked the kabak drizzled with olive oil in the oven first before adding it to the casserole. Mmm. I could just stop right there and eat it straight from the oven tray... the taste is divine. Anyway, the tagine is more full-bodied, fruitier,a touch spicier - a case of almost the same but better!
|sun-dried is actually a little more expensive|
|OK so they're not sun-dried but they still look moist and inviting|
Ingredients for Lamb,Squash and Apricot Tagine - aka Kayısılı Kuzu Yahnısı
taken from BBC Good Food magazine
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp ras el hanout
1 tsp ground coriander/toz kişniş
600g/1lb 5oz lamb leg, diced into 2 cm pieces, excess fat trimmed
200g/7oz butternut squash, diced/bal kabak I BAKED THIS IN THE OVEN AT 180C FOR 30 MINS TO SOFTEN AS IT IS HARDER THAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH
|like this ....|
200g/7oz soft dried apricots
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml/18fl oz lamb or beef stock
|since I had the bones from the leg of lamb, I made some fresh stock|
with 2 carrots, 2 bay leaves, some peppercorns and parsley
zest 1 lemon
small bunch coriander/kişniş (or parsley)
couscous and natural yogurt, to serve OR bulgur pilavı
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a couple mins more, stirring to prevent them catching and burning.
- Add the lamb, squash and apricots to the casserole, pour over the tomatoes and stock, season well and bring to the boil.
- Put the lid on and transfer to the oven. After 1 hr, stir the tagine and return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 30 mins.
- Check the seasoning. Sprinkle over the zest and coriander, and serve in warm bowls with couscous and yogurt./bulgur pilavı.